Mum Guilt, I’m sorry.

Every mum feels guilt, for little minor things.

I’m sorry,

“For all the things I’ve done, for all the times I’ve messed up.”

Mum guilt is something that happens to a lot of mums. It means:

It’s most often called “mommy guilt” because we moms tend to berate ourselves—and be judged by others—for our child rearing, but fathers experience this guilt as well. It comes with the territory of being a parent.

It is completely normal to feel this way, and it can make you feel like the worst parent in the world, it can sometimes last for days on end.

Before i had children, when seeing parents getting upset about leaving their children at nursery or not wanting to go to work would make me think.. ‘Well why? I would jump at the chance for a few hours off.’

My first Mum Guilt was the first night Rosie was born. She had very bad colic and she would not stop screaming. She must have screamed for about 5 hours before i gave up and asked a nurse for help. I was extremely tired from a 3 day labour and i just wanted to rest. The nurse took over and Rosie instantly settled. The nurse took her with her for a bit. I couldn’t fall asleep for about an hour because i just felt so guilty. Like what did i do wrong? Was i really a bad mum before i even had the chance to try. I cried and eventually fell asleep. I woke up a couple hours later with the over whelming urge to not leave her. She wasn’t allowed to go to anyone else and I had to settle her every time to make sure she knew that I was her mum. Looking back in it now, I realise how silly it was. But then: it was a massive surge of guilt that just took over me.

1. I have yet to experience this as I’m not a parent, but it sounds awful. I’m sure you’re doing your best, just like most mummy’s are!

2. It is common to feel mum guilt for every little thing, I see it with my sister in law all the time

It’s an awful feeling! X

Thank you for sharing! This is important to talk about, so others feel less guilty.

4. Miss A says:

I can so relate…it’s feels like mummy guilt gets born instantly with the child. We love them but sometimes needs some alone time as well (and try to relax).

As a mum you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t…..no matter what though we will ALWAYS feel guity!

I think this is an important topic that should be talked about more often so that women realize that they aren’t alone!

Liked by 2 people

7. I get this!! I felt so guilty when we went away for our anniversary, it was only 2 nights.

8. Mom guilt is one of the most difficult things about being a parent!! I never expected to feel guilty over many of the things I do before I became a mother.
    Sometimes it can be a good thing though, because I think it shows just how much we love our children. 🙂 -Ashley

9. Guilt affects us all however I can only imagine how difficult it is once children are involved but it s natural

You’re being the absolute best mummy you can be 🙂

11. Just know that you’re being the best mom that you can be! Lovely post xx

I don’t have kids but I’m pretty sure it’s normal to experience it and it’s okay. You’re trying the best you can and that’s what matters xx

New Lune | new-lune.com

When I delivered my daughter I kept her in the room all day and night because I didn’t want to leave her side! But this time with my son I would call the nurse even in the middle of the night to come grab him because I was SO tired! The Mom guilt will always be there but we have to do what’s best for us to be a good mom to them ❤️

14. There is always someone to talk to if you need to xx

15. I don’t have children so I can’t empathize but I bet it feels completely awful. Just know you are being the best mommy you can be!

16. I don’t have kids but I can understand this. It might also have to do with the fact that all over social media we only hear people criticizing eachother instead of making sure new (and not so new) moms know that’s no one is perfect! xx

I think its completely normal to experience it, I remember my first pang of mum guilt when we went to a family party without my first born and I felt so bad xx