Why i got Rosie, clothes from the boys clothes.

Okay, so we have all been there. You’ve found something your child will really love…BUT it’s in the opposite gender section.

So what?!?

Today I got Rosie some PJ mask pyjamas because I knew full well she would love them, and she did! The added bonus that you didn’t pick wrong😂.

Rosie loves PJ masks and has done for a while. Just as she likes Spider-Man, Scooby do & Paw Patrol. I know, Paw Patrol is not a one gender related programme but her favourite is Chase, and to find an outfit or a toy that’s for ‘girls’ with Chase is bloody difficult. I mean why?! Why do companies do this?

I went shopping, there was lots that I knew Rosie would love for herself. For example some spider man clothes. In the dress up second there was a ‘spider woman’ dress and knowing my daughter- that would not be good enough. She would have to be spider man in his full outfit. What I don’t get, is why these things are associated with genders. Now I’m not at all slating the gender divide. That’s a whole different argument but it’s a bloody kids tv programme!

img_8838

I hope she won’t ever see the colour divide when shopping, she tells me she likes something? I will get it. For example when we go Tesco shopping, she has the hardest decision picking a My Little Pony blind bag and a Zombling blind bag.

I don’t agree with these things being specifically tailored to girls and boys. It’s a ridiculous concept with leaves some parents not giving their children the things they will like because of it.

Children are so innocent and have no idea about these things. Let them live, let them decide what they like and if that means buying your little princess a hulk doll because she ‘just loves it’ as Rosie says: then do it.

I went to twitter, to post an anonymous poll for people who felt they couldn’t buy their children something they knew they’d love because it was in the opposite gender section of the shop. 23% of the people who answered said they did feel that they couldn’t buy it. Although a larger amount of answered no, there is still people who don’t. In my eyes, this is so sad.

Have you ever stopped yourself from buying something because of the gender title?

*this post is not sponsored, it is not a collaborative post, nor are any of the brands mentioned have I nor am working with. All opinions are my own.*

1. I remember this poll you did! I feel like some may not have answered completely honestly with themselves as I know SO SO SO SO many parents who would never let their boys have anything to do with pink or their girls have anything to do with cars. Me, personally. I’d love to raise tomboy girls over princess-y girls any day haha xx

I feel the same. I know plenty of people who have said no to their child because of this reason. I love how Rosie loves both. It really makes me happy!

2. Charlotte Zealey says:

I always purchase things from the boy sections why does it matter so much we teach our kids they can be whatever they want to be so why can they not wear clothing from the other gender?

Exactly! Its a crazy world we live in.

3. Buy what you & they love that’s more important than whether it fits gender the world is changing slowly but it is! X

4. pinkiebag says:

Hi, if you like something you should buy it, gender doesn’t need to come into it. If Rosie is happy that should be all that matters.

5. Corinne and Kirsty says:

I had three younger brothers so my mum always tried to buy clothes that would fit all of us. I never felt I had to not buy something because of gender or title yet xx corinne

6. Loved this post, I agree clothes are clothes, children are far too young to be told they can’t wear something because it’s for boys/girls! X

I feel the same way! It’s really harmful when parents let gendered distinctions keep their kids from expressing themselves

8. I agree, get them what they like not if it says boys or girls!

I absolutely love that you did this. I completely agree! It’s annoying that there’s such a divide in children’s clothes, when a lot could easily be sold as unisex!

10. NOTHIng wrong with buying clothes in another section. I buy most of mine in the men’s or boys haha xx

11. Kids, and not only, should be able to wear anything they want! They’re at the age to be innocent and shouldn’t be worrying about these things! She looks great in those PJ’s! xx

I love this post! Everyone should be able to wear what they want regardless of anything x

13. I totally agree with everything you said! If only everyone thought this way.

I shop in the boys section for my daughter all the time. Jeans, tshirts, jumpers. Who cares – it’s just clothes

15. Both my girls wear a lot of “boy” clothes but also wear “girl” clothes too. I really don’t think it matters and people should feel okay to dress/let their child wear whatever they feel comfortable in. Great post lovely x

I’ve purchased clothing and gifts from the boys’ section for my nieces before, especially when two of my nieces were obsessed with paw patrol – specifically with Chase and Marshall. If it makes them happy, then it shouldn’t matter!

17. If you like it then buy it. It shouldn’t matter if it’s in the boys or girls section because at the end of the day, they serve the same purpose. Great post!

I agree! There’s no reason why children should feel like they can’t get something because it’s for the opposite gender. Nor should they even understand why that would be a topic amongst adults! Good for you for buying the pj set anyway 😊

19. I love this post! I so agree that people, especially children, should wear what they like. Who cares if it was intended for the opposite sex?!?

20. I love that you buy what you k know will make your Rosie happy no matter the gender 😊

You know my opinion on all of this, theyre just clothes.. I dont understand the need to have boy or girl clothes besides perhaps in the underwear department but then again i know many ladies who enjoy wearing boxers for the comfort, she looks adorable in those! i hope too that my children will see past the blue and the pink and just pick something they like rather than what marketing companies think theyll like
    xx

I think it’s money isn’t it, two different genders, double the money they could get. Buggers me right off🙄🙄

22. I don’t have children but I’m always buying clothing for myself from the men’s department. I don’t think it matters to be honest