Why I stopped breastfeeding.

After I had Rosie, with all the struggles i had i vowed i would breastfeed my next baby for at least a year. This didn’t go to plan and i was and still am heart broken.

When i breastfed Rosie, i had nothing but trouble. You can read about that here, and i vowed i would try again and make it work. I’ve grown up with my mum breastfeeding my sister and it just such an open subject for our family. I said while we was trying for Miyah that i would breastfeed until the baby was 1 or until they self weaned. I didn’t want any bottles, or formula. Exclusively breast fed. I watched so may videos on the best positions and pumped a bit before hand to make sure everything was going smoothly and when the time arrived and Miyah was born, one of the first things i did was latch her on.

22127257_1994643404140614_1167334775_n

She had a perfect latch. I was in love and my heart filled with joy. I carried pumped colostrum with me to the hospital in case I couldn’t do it! I was so relieved I didn’t have to use it. We stayed awake all night feeding, she was a very hungry baby from the start and she loves her milk. I made sure I drank enough and I ate enough to give her what she needed.

22711491_2004009039870717_1621873002_n

She lost quite a bit of weight at her first weigh at home, and I was told to keep going and they will check back in a week. A week later and they weighed her again and she had stayed the same. We started weighing her monthly after that and in that month she would only put in an ounce or two and it was a bit worrying. I started to make her feed for the longest I could on one side(she loved to switch and change during feeds) but she just wasn’t having any of it. I started eating more foods which was meant to help my supply and drank more water than I could handle but it came to the day where Michael & I sat down and spoke about it. We decided to try her on Cow & Gate ready made milk to see how she would go and I’ve never seen her drink so fast. She had the rest of the bottle an hour later and I tried to breastfeed her before bed! I was so excited to sit there and have some bonding time but she just screamed and wouldn’t latch, she screamed and screamed and I tried everything until we decided to try the formula, she settled immediately and slept all the way through the night. I was so heartbroken.

22752532_2004009053204049_1265484403_n

We had made it to 4 months breastfeeding and I am extremely proud of myself for getting that far but there will always a part of me that feels so bad and so guilty that my body couldn’t give my baby what she needed. I feel like I’ve failed her!

g

A few months on, i am feeling better in myself knowing i did what was best for my baby. She is now gaining weight so beautifully. Her first weigh in, after started formula was 2 weeks after we started and she gained 7oz. Where as before she was putting on maybe an oz an month. Although it is so difficult in coming to terms with not breastfeeding, i find comfort in knowing she is getting healthier by the day.

img_6832

1. Mommy Bloggin’ says:

Ahw!! Breastfeeding for 4 months is a great accomplishment momma! Definitely be confident in knowing you did so good! ☺️

2. Its so good to be speaking about this, do not feel guilty xx

I’m glad you shared this; I don’t think people talk about it enough!

As I don’t have children, I can’t relate to this but I can understand that it must have been upsetting and frustrating for you. It’s great that you were able to breast feed for four months though. You’re not a failure at all ☺️

This is a struggle that I see more and more moms speaking up about sharing their own stories. The important thing is that you did what was right for her and her health.

6. This is such a true written post. I don’t have children so it’s nice to see insights like this xx

I’m sorry you’re feeling down about having to stop sooner than you planned! You have to constantly remind yourself that even through the struggles, you still tried your hardest to make it last. You made a decision as a mother, and the outcome ended up being better for your sweet girl. Don’t doubt yourself, mama. I’m breastfeeding my 21 month old and my 9 week old… I know how it feels to want to give up! But as mothers we have a great power that no one else has. One that helps us push through even when we feel like we can’t do it anymore. Sending love ❤️

I did spend such a long time thinking about it. It was on my mind constantly and i was researching and asking everyone for advice but all we got was ‘it’s your decision’ and thats what stressed me the most. Thank you so much for our lovely comment. x

4 months is pretty amazing! You should be proud of yourself, I’m sure this post will help a lot of moms! Thanks for sharing it x

9. No reason to feel guilty! You made a choice that was best for your baby. So happy to hear she is happy and healthy and steadily gaining weight now!

10. I’m glad you made your own decision, I had many friends who had issues and didn’t breast feed and their children are just perfect, like yours 🙂

4 months is amazing, these are the things they just do not tell you, you are expected to breastfeed and it is the most natural thing ever, but they NEED to tell people that sometimes it doesn’t work, sometimes its best to formula feed, please dont feel sad about it, shes growing wonderfully every day and in all honesty, a fed baby is a happy baby after all. there is no reason you cannot try again when you have another one (if you plan on having another baby that is haha) you are an amazing strong mummy to two beautiful girls! xx

Thank you so much. I agree, it is something they never tell you. It was really stressful and i will deffo try with my next ( & last haha!!) baby. ❤ xx

12. Do not feel guilty at all my lovely! You did a FANTASTIC job and your best is all that can ever be asked of anyone. 4 months is amazing! You should be so so proud of yourself ❤

I do sometimes, but other times guilt takes over. Thank you so much xx

13. Such an important post which I’m sure will help many others !

14. Things like this should be more talked about so people don’t feel bad when not everything goes according to plan, so they know it’s normal! I don’t have kids yet but thanks for sharing your story! xx

15. mummyandliss says:

You totally did the right thing for Miyah! 4 months is a massive achievement, even getting her latched is an achievement in itself. As you know I struggled with the latching & had to express for 2 weeks before my body just couldn’t take it anymore. 4 months is amazing and you should be proud of yourself regardless. Zoe x

Thank you sweet. I just feel like I’ve failed not only her but myself. I’m trying to work on getting over it x

1. mummyandliss says:

You’re not on your own. I went through this too, It’s really hard but just know that you’re enough & you’re doing your best xx