I know that sometimes keeping the kids entertained is hard in the holidays. It may be because the weather is rubbish or because you don’t quite have enough money to take them to a different place each day. I certainly don’t anyway! I’ve though of these easy ways to keep the kids entertained and they’re pretty cheap too so won’t break the bank. If you have any ideas or tips of keeping them entertained then comment below! I love hearing new ideas.
- A nature walk, made fun! a walk on its own can make the kids bored. I know a fact Rosie hates it. So spice it up, here are some ideas on what you could do on your walk. Take some paper and some crayons, make tree markings and trace leaves. Put some wellies on and find as many puddles as you can! Go on a big hunt and see what little insects you can find, or you could even just make a little picnic and sit and have some dinner.
- Crafts. This one may cost a little bit but I have the items already so you may as well. We love crafts in our house and always loves making a mess. Put down large sheets of paper all over the floor (I would tape them so they don’t move) get some paints and let the kids sit and paint all over the paper. I usually let Rosie do it in just some underwear because she will just get it all over her clothes but because the papers all over the floor- the only mess (that should be 🤣) is the kids and the paint brushes.
- A movie day! If your children is anything like my Rosie-Belle then they could watch a film over and over and over again without getting bored. What we do is get some snacks, built a little comfy space for us to sit (both duvets for extra warmth, teddies and the lights off) and chuck on a favourite movie. Ours is currently Trolls 😌
- A library trip. If your little ones like new books it’s always worth while going to check out and sit reading some books with them. It won’t feel much like a chore to them to read because you’re making a fun day of it!
- Going to the park! Simple and easy, take a ball, scooter and or a little picnic and a day out is sorted! If the weather permits that is.
- Soft play areas. Around where I live, the soft play is very cheap to enter and you can play all day. I’m unsure if it’s the same for others but it’s worth looking online for a closest one and checking it out.
- Building a pillow fort! Easy and fun, plus you can get some snacks and play inside for ages. Always so much fun.
- Cooking! You can cook with your children, a cake, cookies or even dinner! Let them get messy, let them touch and feel all the different textures!
- Listening to old records! What better way to spend some time with your children, them letting them find a vinyl record and listening to it together! You can find some vinyls here: https://cheapvinyl.co.uk/
It’s so simple and easy to have a good day and slash the price of mega parks. Unfortunately due to me not being able to drive either I physically cannot take my girls to these places! I’m not saying you shouldn’t go, I’m just giving my ideas and help on ways for people who may not have the money.
Do you have any easy and cheap fun things to do in the half term? Comment below.
Thanks for reading!